The Civil Service Employees Association, Inc., or CSEA, is the largest public employees' union in New York State with over 260,000 members. CSEA began in Albany, New York in 1910 as a collective effort by a small group of state employees to secure better wages and working conditions. Originally known as the Association of State Civil Service Employees, the organization adopted its current name in November 1946. Between 1920 and 1940 the organization grew from a handful of workers to a membership of over 600. This increase in membership was largely based upon the admittance of non-competitive class civil service employees. By 1947 the organization admitted another class of state employees, local government workers, with the issuance of a charter to Westchester County employees.